Sunday, January 22, 2012

Grandma Meets Orville

 
POPCORN BALLS!
   If you are looking for an easy and simple treat, these are for you. An old family friend, Ola McAllister used to make these for me and my brothers when we were growing up and would go to visit her in Fryeburg, Maine. She was one of the best cooks I have ever met and she did all of her cooking on a wood stove with a wood fired oven. Her pies and rolls were to die for. Anyway, these are "Olie's" Popcorn Balls and use a traditional Maine sweetener, at least in my family....molasses.
Olie's Popcorn balls 
1 cup molasses (I use Grandma's, obviouly)
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBS. butter
1/2 tsp. salt 
1 (scant) TBS cider vinegar 
3/4- 1 cup unpopped popcorn (hence, the Orville) 
more butter for forming the balls 

First pop the popcorn. I used only 1/2 cup of popping corn(in an air popper) for this batch and I think that they are too sweet so I would increase the ratio of the popped corn to the molasses mixture. I think 3/4 cup should be fine, but you may even want to use the full cup. Remove any unpopped kernels and put popcorn in large bowl.
   On low heat, heat all other ingredients together, stirring frequently. Place a candy thermometer in the pan and keep a close eye on it until the temperature reaches 121 degrees Celcius (hard ball stage). Remove from heat and stir into popcorn mixture until popcorn is coated evenly. Let cool for a few minutes, then rub your hands together and form into balls. Let sit for a bit before enjoying. They should be crispy, sweet and delicious.

enjoy-
yours in baking-
patty


No comments:

Post a Comment