Saturday, April 2, 2011

Coconut Bundt Cake

     As I have said before, I am a big fan of almost anything coconut. I came across this recipe for a coconut bundt cake the other day in the Bon Appetit Desserts cookbook so I though I would give it a whirl, It is actually quite easy to mix up; especially if you have a Kitchen Aid mixer which I am lucky enough to own. Thank you, Caroline! :) I was worried that there was not enough coconut extract, but the coconut milk does the trick and the added sweetened flaked coconut is really delicious. As with many pound cakes, the outside gets pretty G, B and D ( golden brown and delicious), so a dusting of confection's sugar is a nice topping as well if you do not want to go all out with the icing. I thought of using a chocolate ganache icing(sort of like creating an Almond Joy cake), but did not have any heavy cream on hand. Perhaps I will try that next time. As you can see, there is a piece missing in one of the photos...I couldn't resist although the remainder of the cake made it to the faculty lounge at my school.

Coconut Bundt Cake
350 degree oven 55-65 minutes


3 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vailla extract
1/2 tsp. cocount extract
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups(packed) sweetened, flaked coconut

Generously butter and flour a large bundt pan.

Stir flour and salt in bowl and set aside.

Cream butter and then add sugar gradually until the mixture is fluffy. Add eggs one at a time( mixing after each) and then add the two extracts.  Add flour mixture(in four parts) alternately with one cup of the coconut milk, ending with the flour. Stir in the flaked coconut and spread evenly in prepared pan.

Bake ~55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean(except for a few moist crumbs).

Let cool slightly on wire rack, carefully loosen cake with a small knife and then remove cake from pan to cool completely.

Icing
Whisk 1/4 cup coconut milk with ~1 3/4 cups powdered sugar until you reach desired consistency. Spoon glaze over cake and enjoy!

your in baking-
p

No comments:

Post a Comment