Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cukoo for Coconut.."Brownies that is!"

So, I was planning on heading up to Anchorage to visit my sister and her family and I was talking with her about this blog. She had visited the site and knows how much I like to bake..so she hesitated a bit as she said, "You know, Patty...we don't really eat many grains any more." Well, some people might see that as an obstacle to baking, when I simply took it as a challenge. I also have a friend who is allergic to gluten and dairy so I was intrigued with the idea of baking something sweet for her. Here is a recipe I found on the back of a coconut flour bag which I have adapted to my own taste. The 6 eggs seems a bit much, but coconut flour really needs the extra binder and moisture. I happen to LOVE anything coconut, but know that some people do not. The good news is that these brownies have very little coconut flavor(unless you add the shredded coconut like I did). And surprisingly enough, they taste remarkably close to your typical cake-like brownies. Round one in the baking without grains challenge goes to me!*


Brownies

Ingredients
1/3 cup butter, melted (I used Earth Balance sticks)
½ cup cocoa powder
6 eggs
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pure vanilla
½ cup Coconut Flour
1 cup chopped nuts, chocolate chips or shredded coconut (optional)

In a saucepan at low heat, blend together butter(or Earth Balance) and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and let cool. In a bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in cocoa mixture. Whisk coconut flour into batter until there are no lumps. Fold in optional ingredients. Pour batter into a greased 8x8 inch pan. Bake at 350F for 28-33 minutes.

*I will be exploring more grain-free recipes in later blogs. I have a banana bread recipe made with garbanzo bean flour and fava bean flour which I am interested in trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment